Ginger Curry Chicken with Lentils and Leeks
- 3 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 large leeks, halved lengthwise, rinsed, and sliced
- 1 small orange, cut in wedges
- 1 cup French lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-oz. can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 2 heads baby bok choy, separated into individual leaves (chopped smaller if desired)
Tangy Cabbage with Fennel and Cumin
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tablespoon curry powder and salt. Brown chicken pieces, half at a time if necessary, in a 4-quart Dutch oven in hot oil over medium-high heat. Remove from pan.
- Add ginger, leeks, orange wedges, and remaining curry powder. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until leeks are tender.
- Stir in lentils and broth.
- Return chicken pieces to pan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, for 55 to 60 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Remove chicken; stir bok choy into lentil mixture. Use slotted spoon to serve. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
half a head of cabbage, cut into strips
1 medium onion, cut into half moons
3 garlic cloves
1 large handful of fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
1/2 Tsp red chile flakes
1 Tsp cumin seeds
3/4 Tsp fennel seeds
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
splash of water
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Lay the cabbage flat on the table with the rounded side pointing up. Slice it crosswise into thin ribbons.
- Peel and halve the onion then slice it crosswise as well into half moons.
- Pound the garlic cloves with the back of your knife, peel them and leave them as they are.
- Place the onions, garlic, olive oil, a healthy dose of salt, and all the spices in a medium pan and sautee over medium heat until the onions are almost soft.
- Add the cabbage, parsley, butter, a splash of water (to moisten the pan) and saute for about another 5 minutes until it is crunchy/tender. (Remember it will cook a little bit more when you turn off the heat.)
- Add vinegar and toss. Add more salt/pepper as needed.
Makes 2 (8 oz.) servings
2 cups coconut milk
1 ripe mango, cut into large chunks
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1. Combine all ingredients in the blender.
2. Process until smooth.
3. Chill before enjoying.