Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Red Velvet Cake to Change Your World


I die for a moist cake.

If you are like me, the flavor of the cake could not matter less - it's ALL about moistness. In Athens, my favorite place for cake is The Grit. This amazing vegan restaurant serves up beautiful moist cakes that stun and surprise (try the Big Mama Blue!). P.S. I'd gladly accept The Grit Cookbook as a donation in kind for being such a great blogger :D



The following cake recipe is from legendary Brooklyn cake master Cake Man Raven, who is now the main reason I want to visit New York City. I have to also credit my new favorite blog Luvin Spoonful whose absolutely gorgeous pictures of this cake blew me away. This blog is also where I got my recipes for Tangy Cabbage and Lentils with Fennel and Raisins.

Southern Red Velvet Cake ala Cake Man Raven

Ingredients

  • 2-1/2 cups of cake flour
  • 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1 tsp of fine salt
  • 1 tsp of cocoa powder
  • 1 cup of buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp of white distilled vinegar
  • 1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil
  • 1 oz. of red food coloring
  • 1 tsp. of vanilla extract.
  • Frosting: 4 cups of Confectioners Sugar, 1 lb. of cream cheese (room temperature), 1 lb. of butter (softened) and 2 tsp. of vanilla. extract.

Instructions

  1. Sift together all dry ingredients.
  2. Add liquid in an electric mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until well incorporated.
  3. Slowly add dry ingredients to bowl, until all ingredients are combined.
  4. Bake @ 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
  5. Frosting: Mix together the cream cheese and the softened butter. Gradually add confectioners sugar until it reaches desired sweetness and smoothness.
  6. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and frost the cake. Serves 10-12
I dub this cake the best I've ever made or eaten. I think the key is buttermilk and now I'll never go back.















With my best cooking buddies, this cake was the best Valentine's Day treat ever!




No comments:

Post a Comment