Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Neiman Marcus Knockoffs: A cookie even my Grandpa would love



Last week my dad sent me a mysterious email containing a Neiman Marcus cookie recipe his secretary said cost a woman $250! Now, with a quick Google search I discovered that this urban legend stems from a mischarge of $250 instead of $2.50 on a woman's credit card for purchase of the top secret cookie recipe. Although Neiman Marcus officially stated this was only a myth, they quickly published a public recipe for their cookies.

My dreams of a cookie so good it would be worth $250 sounds like a wonderful cookie to me, so I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. Luckily, I would say my take on Neiman Marcus' delights could be worth more than that in tastebud satisfaction.

Before I give my recipe, I want to take the time for you to get to know me better. When I cook, I am generally pretty willy-nilly. I like to just go go go and I often will add things at the incorrect time or put in 4 times as much as I should. Another tendency that related to this recipe is due to the terribly located grocery stores in Athens, Ga. If inspiration strikes I will use whatever I have in my apartment and hope for the best. Somehow this usually works and helps me use up extras in my pantry. Here's what I came up with, and let me tell you, you can't just eat one!

Neiman-Marcus Cookies: An Adaptation
My version is halved, but now I regret that decision.

1 cup butter
1 cup mini chocolate chips (Do what you feel! Just add as much chocolate as you like)
2 cups flour
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 Toblerone Bar (grated)
2 1/2 cups blended oatmeal
2 eggs
1 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped toasted almonds

Prep:
Using a blender, blend oatmeal to a fine powder. Grate the Toblerone bar using a traditional cheese grater. If you purchased raw almonds, toast the almonds at 350 degrees on a baking sheet for 12 minutes. Then, chop the almonds into small chunks.









1.Cream the butter and all three sugars in a mixing bowl
2.Add eggs and vanilla
3.Mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda
4.Add chocolate chips, Toblerone shreds and chopped nuts
5.Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a baking sheet
6.Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.















If you are interested in the Neiman Marcus original it's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment