Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Day of Infamy

Yesterday, I put confectioner's sugar into my famous mac and cheese instead of flour...


But can you blame me?
This looks exactly like flour in my mother's nondescript glass container.
The Culprit

But good news it, my famous mac and cheese is SO good, that everyone ate it anyway. The slightly sweet notes were only somewhat noticeable BUT i think I will stick to the real recipe.

Famous Mac and Cheese

One box of elbow noodles
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of pepper
1/4 tsp. of garlic powder
1/4 tsp. of red cayenne pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups half and half (Or I used heavy whipping cream once because I had some leftover and that worked too)
8 oz. extra sharp cheddar, shredded (You'll never find this pre-shredded sorry)
16 oz. sharp chedder, shredded, halfed
Isn't it lovely?!                                                                 My Cheese Grater

1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. Cook the pasta while you make the roux.
3.Melt the butter in a deep frying pan over medium high heat.
4. Whisk in the flour for about 2 minutes. As someone once told me, you need to cook the flour or your dish will taste like raw flour.
5. Add the next 4 ingredients (spices).
6. Gradually whisk in the milk and half and half. Whisking constantly, cook for about 8 to 10 or until thickened.
7. Add the extra sharp cheddar cheese and half the sharp cheddar. Remove from heat when mixed in.
8. Mix the cheese and the noodles and spread into an ungreased 9'' x 13'' pyrex pan. Sprinkle the remaining sharp cheese on top.
9. Cook for 20 minutes. The cheese will look a little bubbly, maybe a few golden spots when done.
10. Let rest for 5 minutes and enjoy!

And the best part is, this mac and cheese reheats for days and keeps on giving!


The Moral of the Story: If you put ingredients in new containers, please label them.

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this on Facebook and it's funny because I was just eating a serving of the sugary Mac and Cheese about 20 minutes ago and it was still really good! If I didn't know any better I probably would have thought it was normal Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's one good lookin' cheese grater.

    ReplyDelete